Shopping Las Palmas Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria shopping is a great idea because, compared to mainland Europe, prices here are cheap. We would like you to get the best shopping experience, and have carefully handpicked the best shopping centres on the island. The best time of the year to shop is during the sales, which take place twice a year: right after Three Kings Day (January 6th) and in the summer (beginning of July). Each sale lasts for two months.
Remember to take your own bags if you go to the supermarkets, otherwise you will be charged 0.02-0.05 Euros for a plastic bag or 0.50-0.60 Euros for a large re-usable cloth bag.
Here's a list of the top shopping centres and shops:
1) - BEST shopping centre for 2011-2013, especially for those of you living in the south. Five stars without a doubt ★★★★★
Located in Vecindario, which is a town located about half-way to the airport. Worth visiting as it has plenty of top-notch shops and also has a Carrefour hypermarket. Lots of free parking is available.
2) This shopping centre is located in the capital, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. It offers free parking and hundreds of stores, including the Carrefour hypermarket, Primark, and many other interesting shops. You can literally spend the whole day there. Upgraded to five stars ★★★★★
3) Centro Comercial Siete Palmas: Located in the capital, away from the centre of the city, it is an excellent shopping centre. Free parking, plenty of shops, a Mercadona supermarket, weekly events, make it a noteworthy mall.
4) - Is a department store located in the capital, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. It is a good idea to visit both buildings and check out their offers. Four stars ★★★★☆
5) - This is the biggest in the Canaries and opened in November 2010. Located between Telde and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. This is where you will find the biggest Primark store on the island. Four stars ★★★★☆
6) - An open air Gran Canaria shopping centre with discounted clothes shops, supermarket, electronics shops, bars, restaurants, karting. Upgraded to five stars ★★★★★
6) " " - For those arriving by cruise, this Gran Canaria shopping centre is located inside the harbour. UPDATE: We visited it in April 2013 and were disappointed to see the amount of closed shops. There are some nice open air bars and restaurants, though.
Downgraded to one star ★☆☆☆☆
7) "La Estrella" shopping area is very popular among the local Gran Canarian shopping fans. It is a group of buildings on both sides of the motorway, located in Telde, which is a town halfway between the airport and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. On one side there is the French "Alcampo" hypermarket. Within walking distance, next to it, you will find the best DIY store on the island, the French "Leroy Merlin" store.
Next to these, the Swedish furniture multinational Ikea opened a new massive store on July 31st, 2012.
On the other side of the motorway there is the Decathlon shop, which is the biggest sports equipment store on the
island. Next to it there is a wholesale shop called Macro. Only businesses and people who have retail shops are allowed to go shopping there. There is plenty of free parking available in front of all the buildings, and the best days to go are weekdays. Fridays and Saturdays it gets crowded. Four stars ★★★★☆
8) "Calle Mayor de Triana" is one of the main streets of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. It is closed to traffic, and is the oldest shopping area of the island, dating back to the late 1800s. Shops in this area have also been opening the first Sunday of the month, to boost sales.